How's everyone's week going so far? Mine is pretty good, although I'm definitely ready for the weekend. We're moving some things up to the new house (you know, once I actually put things in boxes....) this weekend, so YAY. My mom is here for the fun, because who doesn't love a good moving/packing party?
Today I thought I'd share some of my favorite podcasts! I've gotten some questions about ones I love or recommend and since I LOVE podcasts, I'm happy to oblige. I'm not sure if it's weird that I enjoy them so much considering I'm in the anti e-reader club and a podcast is basically like listening to an audio book, or if it actually makes sense since podcasts hearken back to the day of radio and pre-television... Either way, high five for being able to work "hearken" into a sentence. ;)
I listen to podcasts daily, during walks with my dog. I can't recall if I've mentioned this here on the blog, but Minori (pup) requires a lot of stimulation/movement, so we do two long walks a day; they're usually about two miles each. Sometimes one ends up being a little bit longer or slightly shorter, depending how much time I have or what's going on, but in a nutshell that's our routine before and after work. Perfect for a good 40-60 minutes long podcast!
I listen to a few different ones and rotate what I'm listening to on a per-walk basis. I've come to truly look forward to our walks, particularly due to this solid, uninterrupted podcast time. I personally cannot listen to a podcast while I'm at work because I can't concentrate (I do a lot of writing/editing, and have found I can listen to music only if I want to be productive), so this is the best time for me to do serious podcast listening aside from long car rides. I actually only recently became interested in podcasts, and turned to them for our walks in order to try and capitalize on that time as much as possible. Plus, I didn't want to burn through my workout playlists. I do think quiet time with nothing but your thoughts and the sounds of whatever is happening around you can be soothing and worthwhile, but I enjoy the distraction since our walks are on the longer side.
Without further ado, here is my current list of favorite podcasts:
- The Runner's World Show (by, you guessed it, Runner's World magazine)
- Ali on the Run Show (running podcast by one of my fav running bloggers; she profiles really interesting people in the fitness community - not just runners)
- Food Psych (focuses on intuitive eating)
- S-Town (by NPR's This American Life and Serial)
- How I Built This (another NPR gem; profiles different entrepreneurs)
- Magic Lessons (inspiration for fostering creativity and passion-seeking by author Elizabeth Gilbert)
- The Balanced Blonde (yoga teacher who interviews different folks in the fitness and wellness community; she has some interesting guests, but her episodes are just sometimes a weeeee bit too long for me because she usually has a long intro)
Also, I'm not currently listening to it, but Serial is fantastic if you haven't heard it yet (season one). Some other gems include Invisibilia, which is also by NPR. I want to start listening to the Body Kindness podcast by registered dietitian Rebecca Scritchfield and Run, Selfie, Repeat by running blogger Kelly Roberts.
Nerd alert, I know.
Does anyone have other recommendations?? If so, leave them in the comments please! I'm always on the hunt to learn about new ones in the running/fitness/wellness/nutrition realm or business/creative living.
Have a great Friday and holiday weekend (if you're celebrating)! We'll be over here with packing boxes and doughnuts. xo