It's kind of, sort of feeling like fall over here in southern California, which has me ready to shout "hooray" from the rooftops. It's been so darn hot here, which - I know, I know - I should be pleased with, versus having to shovel snow or something, but...............frankly, I don't appreciate it. It's November. 90 degrees seems extremely unnecessary.
And hey! That's sort of the theme here today. You know, that the things to be grateful for out number the ones to whine over.
I've been bummed about some minor things recently, like having freelance pitches ignored, or my dog deciding to use my living room as her personal restroom. (Is that TMI? Whatever, she's a dog.) The post-election negativity also springs to mind.
But, the point here is that there are a million more things to be grateful for in life!
While listening to the Runner's World Show podcast recently (obsessed), I heard Olympian/running legend Deena Kastor talking about how clutch the mental game (i.e., staying positive) is to her running career, and just overall life, to which I kept nodding my head and saying "Same." Deena and I are twins, NBD. She also mentioned how she has kept gratitude lists to support that whole positive thinking/gratefulness mindset.
The concept is not foreign to me, but I've never heard that phrase - gratitude list. It sounds so simple and happy and like there should be a bow on top, decorating the list. Right? So, I thought HEY - what the heck! Let's make one today. It is November after all, and Thanksgiving is right around the corner.
Here we go:
1. My puppy's snores, which, during the daytime, are cute and remind me I have company working from home.
2. Aforementioned fall weather, finally.
3. A gorgeous bouquet of sunflowers and some unknown-to-me pink flowers that I purchased for a measly $3.99 the other day, but was large enough morph into three separate floral arrangements currently brightening up my life. (<--"Arrangements," like I'm some floral wizard... don't be fooled.)
4. Tonight's spin class with friends. (My favorite sort of happy hour.)
5. A festive, Christmas-themed glass milk bottle my boyfriend just snapped me, which he found at Sprouts and is bringing home for us to eventually use as a vase. (Double gratitude points in one line!)
6. The delicious avocado toast that decked out my lunch today.
7. The fact that I did get a couple replies from my freelance pitching frenzy, including one that landed a fun new collaboration.
What would be on yours? Put on your positive pants and make one! Trust me, it'll make you smile.